The "5-year" plan

When we moved into our house in 2005, we had agreed that it was a 5 year plan. In five years, the house would be painted and landscaped to our tastes. It would be done...

It's 2011.
The projects are never-ending, we have a dirt mound in our driveway the size of a suburban, It's dark out and we're still working... hit it.

Welcome to our journal about dirt, gardens and beer.

Monday, April 18, 2011

Landscape Lighting

Yesterday my mom and I went to Big Johns Flea Market (http://bigjohnsfleamarket.com) and scored some pretty awesome treasures.  I found some old windows that i plan on hanging from my front porch, an old mirrored door that I plan on using as sidelights/shutters on my front door and last but not least a old hanging light for our front porch.


One of my treasures I found yesterday.  It looks GREAT at night!


Outdoor lighting serves many purposes.  It increases safety as well as illuminates some key landscaping features.  When installing lighting, the first step is to go outside at night and look at what you see (and don't see).  Look at the areas where darkness creates unsafe conditions, as well as areas that you would like to highlight during the evening hours.

If your ultimate goal is to use landscape lighting to beautify your yard, here are some handy tips:
  1. Try placing a spot light mounted in a tree facing downward.  It will bathe the ground in soft light while creating shadows through tree limbs.  
  2. Use small spotlights to uplight features such as garden statues and trees.  Uplighting creates a certain drama.  If you have a pond or water feature, try illuminating the a nearby tree or shrub.  This light will reflect on the waters surface.
  3. You can use low area lights to highlight walkways.  Hide the fixtures from view with large leafed plants but don't block the light.  Hostas are great for this purpose (I've already stated how much I love these valuable plants).  
  4. Make sure the light is never shining in your eyes.  Angle them up or down so that they are adequately filtered through your foliage.
  5. Strings of lights installed in trees or shrubs can be used in conversation areas for added nighttime interest.  

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    This is a very nice post. I am actually planning to redo my garden lighting this summer and I feel that I can use some of your ideas. They sound pretty interesting to me.
    Thanks for putting up such a nice and informative post.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Outdoor lighting brings out the best from your front porch or backyard’s landscape design. Lights will let you emphasize those wonderful features that you have outside your house. It’s great that even after the sun has set, people will still appreciate its beauty.

    ReplyDelete