The "5-year" plan

When we moved into our house in 2005, we had agreed that it was a 5 year plan. In five years, the house would be painted and landscaped to our tastes. It would be done...

It's 2011.
The projects are never-ending, we have a dirt mound in our driveway the size of a suburban, It's dark out and we're still working... hit it.

Welcome to our journal about dirt, gardens and beer.

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Tree ring... check

This morning my project was to create a "tree ring".  I dug up the bricks from the backyard around the tree near our pond.  Now... that whole area has to be re-done.  See what me mean?  Always, more projects to be done.  I loaded the bricks in the wheelbarrow... rolled them to the front yard and put them in place.   Yeah, yeah I know what you're thinking.  I should have dug a trench first so they don't "go ugly". BUT we have these massive tree roots just below the surface and I didn't want to try to dig through them or injure them; so I decided to gamble a bit.  It turned out nice.  I'm pleased. how it looks.
Note:  the cobble stones to the right of the fence.



We have newer trees on either side of this one.  I'm also going to plant under those as well.  I'll create a cobblestone border to mimic the use of cobbles around the yard.  Look back at the first picture to see the cobbles.
Next on my to-do list is to put some chicken wire or trellis of some type on the inside of the picket fences in the front yard.  I planted some clematis a few years back to climb the fence.  When I discovered that clematis won't scramble or climb naturally over the fence, I dug them out... or so I thought.  But here they are; they all came back AND look great.  Now I have an obligation to take care of them... which means ANOTHER PROJECT. 
-- Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment